Tuesday, March 23, 2010

SANDBOX

Liam & my 2 nephews, Drew & Levi in the sandbox at my dad's house


So I read on FB today that a friend of mine was building a sandbox. It got me to thinking about all the great fun we had in our sandbox growing up. We had a neighbor who was in his 20's that would come over and help us build sandcastles, we would build all kinds of things, just sit in it, jump off the swings into it and my most vivid memory (brace yourself)....


I just never understood why there were "clumps" of sand every time we went to go play in the sandbox, but being the particular little person I was, I would get the rake to make sure everything was nice and smooth. If I found one of these clumps I would take my shovel to it to break it us and always found it a bit odd that the inside of the clump was always a bit darker than the rest of the sand. Soon, the sandbox would be ready to play in clump-free.

What were those clumps you might ask - let's just say the neighbor had cats.....you do the math

4 comments:

Potter Family said...

You brought back so many memories. Remember making the castles with motes around it. So fun, thanks for reminding me.

Sandra said...

ewww ha ha. I'm glad your sand box closes up (we have those turtles) there are random cats roaming the neighborhood that I'm sure would like it there. I'm glad you never got sick as a child ha ha.

Melissa P said...

That makes me laugh! I used to play in my neighbors sandbox with clumps too. I never caught on to what those were until I got older either.
My kids spend hours in our sandbox in the summer. Ours is clump free, I think because of our dogs. Sometimes my kids do find the dogs bones though. They hide their treasures in it.

Ann said...

We got a sandbox two years ago, made out of an old tractor tire. The kids LOVE it. As soon as the snow is melted off it, both kids are out in the middle of it. They always come in completely covered. I've found handfuls of sand down Sam's onesie and diaper. I have to vacuum multiple times a day when they play in the sandbox, but it's worth every minute of it, isn't it?!