Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Bedtime Nightmare

I have always heard people say what a hard time they have getting their kids to go to bed and STAY in bed. I always thought -- oh they must totally be a softie and not MAKE them stay in bed.
Then Lance came along. Now let me just say that Lance was every new mom's dream as a baby. He slept through the night at 10 days and was an awesome sleeper. Innocent enough, right?

Fast forward about 2 1/2 years and and this is what we have to work with, see exhibit A.
Dealing with exhibit you have a mom who is ready to pull her hair out, sell the child, call Supernanny, find a cage to put him at bedtime, the list goes on and on.....

(Notice the sheets half torn off the bed)


Seriously -- how do you deal with kids who WON'T stay in bed. He doesn't care if I take away his favorite blanket, spank him, make him sleep in his room alone, leave him with a completely bare bed (no sheets, blankets, pillows, or his puppy), close my eyes and pretend I can't hear him playing like he out on the playground at lunch time, yada, yada. He will lock the door on his own -- nothing phases him and I mean NOTHING. Sure, he will cry in the moment of the event, but 2 seconds later he is back to his circus act.

Any suggestions?

8 comments:

heidi said...

okay, it seems that Lance and Luke are cut from the same cloth. Though Luke goes to bed (crib)-- all day long it is like a CIRCUS ACT!!

I love his face (mouth open) that made me chuckle!!

I miss you guys!

Tristen said...

Heather! Story of my life, my Avery is a strong willed little thing and staying in bed was definitely something we battled... not sure exactly what made the battle end. But I DID read a fantastic book about kids and sleep that I will always recommend to people so here's my big chance!

Healthy Sleep HAbits, Happy Child, by Marc Weissbluth

But the biggest thing I've learned with a child who just doesn't care about punishment and who doesn't want to stay in bed is to completely baby proof the room (locking closets, removing toys,unscrewing light bulbs, etc...I left just books) and as a final resort, just shut the door and go read a book or do something else that makes you happy. They end up in the craziest positions, but at least it's been a positive experience for everyone! And then one day somehow they start getting in bed, not sure when that happens. Getting ready to do bed training with #2 and NOT looking forward to it!!

Aaron and Rachael said...

Have you tried Duct Tape?

AmyJo said...

I bet Skip would build you a cage!We practically had ones for the twins when they went through that stage.

I like Tristen's suggestion.
If all else fails you may resort to the duct tape! I liked that one.

The things kids will power struggle over!

Melissa P said...

No more naps! Then he will be tired at bedtime. It isn't ideal during the day but it is earlier bedtime. Maybe he doesn't nap anymore anyway. Some kids just don't go to bed as easy. I discovered Joslyn just likes a little bedtime story and snuggle before bed and she will settle down and quit getting out of bed.
Good luck!

Sandra said...

Ahh... we are in the same boat with Jacob. Does he take a nap still? We notice that he goes to sleep faster if he hasn't had one. We close the door and that seems to get him upset but then that doesn't always work because he turns the light on and plays. It's hard when you have other kids in the room with them. If you find out what works, let me know.

K. D. Montgomery said...

Lucy has the same problem. We tried to take the nap away but then she would totally konk out at about 5 p.m. and there was no waking her up and she would be up even more all night. I started waking her up earlier in the morning, keeping the nap, but waking her after only about 45 minutes so it was enough to get her through the day but she was still tired come bedtime. Then, bedtime had to be really structured and all the lights off in the rest of the house. I could seriously spank until she turned black and blue, but it never phased her. She's finally most of the way out of it. But we still have our nights. Read the book Tristen suggested, ask the pediatrician, and pray a whole lot.

Potter Family said...

Oh Lance, what a sweet little devil!! I have no recommendations, just don't kill him.